Thursday, July 29, 2010

Women only please!!! I need your advice.?

Okay. This is gonna be a little long and I apologize. My older sister went to the doctor to see why she couldn't get pregnant and turns out she has PCOS(polycystic ovarian syndrome). They put her on med and a special diet. If left untreated it could turn into cancer. We get the blood results back tomorrow I guess to confirm it or find out if that's what it is or not??? Well, the doctor told her that it's extremely hereditary and my parents asked me tonight if I would be willing to go to a gynocologist and get blood work and such to see if I have it or not. I'm really scared to go. I've never been to the gyno before and it will probably make me really uncomfortable and such. I know that I should go, but I'm scared. What do they do at your first appointment? If I decide to go, how can I not be so tense, nervous, etc? Please help!Women only please!!! I need your advice.?
First of all, everyone in your family needs to relax and not overreact. PCOS isn't a death sentence. Millions of women live with the condition in the US. You probably pass them every day and don't realize it. Most live perfectly healthy normal lives and many do it without medication.





PCOS is caused by abnormal hormone levels that often lead to abnormal menstrual cycles and abnormal responses to glucose in the bloodstream. The most common health risks for patiens with PCOS are insulin resistance and diabetes. The most common problems for PCOS patients are cosmetic issues (excess weight, acne, and excess body hair) and infertility. It's true that abnormal hormone levels have been linked to endometrial cancer, but it's extremely rare, especially if you're under the age of 45.





Blood work is only part of the puzzle in diagnosing PCOS. An ultrasound of the ovaries and taking a look at other symptoms are required because (as it is in my case) your hormones can be within the normal range, but you can still have cysts on your ovaries and you can still have many other physical symptoms of the condition.





Statistics show that full sisters of PCOS patients have a 50% chance of also having the condition. Since the condition tends to run in families, your mom should probably be checked, too. I can understand your parents' concern, but everyone needs to learn a little bit more about the condition and not overreact to the news. I encourage your family to check out some books on the condition or www.soulcysters.com and learn a little bit more about it.





Having a close family member diagnosed increases your risk, but do you have any other symptoms? Are your menstrual cycles regular (when you're not taking birth control pills)? Are you overweight? Do you have acne? Do you have facial hair or hair on your chest or stomach? These are some of the most common symptoms of the condition, although not everyone has them.





For your own peace of mind, please go and be tested. The doctor will ask you the above questions and maybe some others. He or she will probably have blood drawn to test your hormone levels and also to determine your general health (cholesterol, etc.). It's likely you will need to also have an ultrasound to determine whether there are actually cysts on your ovaries. This ultrasound is done vaginally, so it might be somewhat uncomfortable, but not painful.





The most common reasons women are diagnosed with PCOS are because they go to their doctor for help with the cosmetic problems associated with PCOS, infertility, or diabetes-related health conditions. Cancer is seldom what brings them through the door. I'm not saying that diabetes or infertility aren't serious, but they're not nearly as serious as cancer.





You don't say why the doctor put your sister on medication and a special diet, but I'm guessing it's because she's showing diabetic symptoms. Diabetes is far more of a concern to PCOS patients than cancer. Luckily, there's something you can do about it. Following your doctor's instructions will help keep you from developing diabetes.





I was diagnosed with PCOS when I was 27, but I suspected I had the condition 10 years earlier. Like your sister, what led to my diagnosis was an inability to conceive. I have four sisters and none have been tested for the condition (to my knowledge). Today, I am 37 weeks pregnant with my second child, I don't have diabetes, and I have healthy cholesterol and lipid levels. I am on no prescriptions to help control my PCOS. I have to shave a few more body parts than most women, but knowing I'm healthy and what to watch out for are much more important to me than the number of razors I go through.





If you have PCOS, it doesn't have to control your life. I hope you don't, but if you do, it's manageable. Knowledge is the key to feeling empowered and in control of your body and life. I encourage your family to do some reading so they fully understands what PCOS means for your sister's life.





Try not to worry. Like I said, even if you have it, you'll probably be just fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment